Last week our hearts were broken watching Southern Resident killer whale J35 struggle with her grief for the passing of her calf, shortly after birth.
Southern Resident killer whales need systemic solutions that reverse the increase in noise and interference with feeding, and that protect Chinook salmon populations.
Listen to two prescient interviews (June 1st and July 10th, 2018) that Misty MacDuffee, Wild Salmon Program Director with Raincoast Conservation Foundation, has given with CFAX 1070 on the situation with Chinook salmon and the future of Southern Resident Killer Whales.
July 10th interview with Terry Moore
Misty MacDuffee speaks with Terry Moore, sitting in for Mark Brennae, about attempts to protect Southern Resident Killer Whales through Chinook fishery closures. This interview is from July 10th, before the birth and subsequent death of J35’s calf.
June 1st interview with Mark Brennae
Misty MacDuffee speaks with CFAX 1070’s Mark Brennae on June 1st, before the death of L92.
- Oil tankers: a killer for whales
- Feds’ fisheries announcement a welcome first step: groups renew call for killer whale emergency order
- National Energy Board’s failure haunts governments
- A killer whale emergency
- Save the whales: emergency order needed now
- Petition for an Emergency Order for the Southern Resident Killer Whales under s. 80 of the Species at Risk Act (PDF)
- Groups urge federal government to protect Southern Resident killer whales with emergency order
Help us protect KELÁ_EKE Kingfisher Forest
Together with Pender Islands Conservancy, we are raising funds to purchase and permanently protect a 45 acre forested property on the edge of the Salish Sea. The KELÁ_EKE Kingfisher Forest is located within the Coastal Douglas-fir (CDF) biogeoclimatic zone, one of the most biodiverse ecosystems in Canada. It is also among the most threatened in Canada. Protecting these forests is an investment in our collective future.
We are eight months into our campaign and are 65% of the way to our fundraising goal. This acquisition is a tangible way that you can help protect forest lands and build climate resilience!