Protect the Fraser estuary from the Terminal 2 expansion
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is proposing to double the size of its existing shipping terminal in the heart of the Fraser estuary, putting further stress on an estuary that has already lost more than 85% of its floodplain habitat, other habitat components and functions.
The Fraser Estuary is of global importance
As a nursery and feeding ground, the estuary connects a food web linking fish, birds and marine mammals across thousands of kilometres of the North Pacific Ocean. It is the rearing grounds for Canada’s largest runs of Pacific salmon. For birds, the estuary is globally significant and serves as a crucial stopover on migration routes stretching from South America to the high Arctic. Raincoast is currently working to restore habitat in the Fraser estuary.
Significant adverse effects
In March 2020, the Canadian Impact Assessment Agency concluded that the Terminal 2 expansion project will have:
- Significant adverse and cumulative effects on threatened Chinook salmon populations, from the Lower Fraser and South Thompson watershed and,
- Significant adverse and cumulative effects on the endangered Southern Resident killer whales through the destruction of legally protected critical habitat, reduced prey availability and an increase in underwater noise.
- These effects cannot be adequately mitigated or offset by measures proposed by the Port of Vancouver.
- The recovery of these species/populations is not compatible with approval of project,
- The MInister of Environment Canada and Climate Change must reject this project.
On a sunny Friday afternoon in late June we head out on the North Arm of the Fraser River, riding the river downstream to our North Arm Jetty breach project.…
The largest container port in Canada is poised to get even larger. Listen to these interviews and learn about the context of the threat that building and operating Terminal 2…
The Government of Canada is currently requesting public comments to decide on whether the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 expansion project should go forward. Until March 15th, supporters like you can…
The Fraser is one of the world’s greatest salmon rivers. Despite the Lower Fraser representing only 5% of the entire watershed, it supports more than half of the watershed’s Chinook…