Opportunities with Raincoast
Job Posting: Lab Manager
Raincoast Applied Conservation Science Lab
Department of Geography – University of Victoria
Anticipated Start Date: September 01, 2017
Closing date: July 26, 2017
The Lab Manager will join a productive and collegial team of applied conservation scholars to coordinate many aspects of daily research and lab logistics. The position is extremely varied and dynamic, requiring academic, administrative and technical tasks.
- Preparing samples for isotope analysis, ensuring lab is stocked with necessary supplies and equipment, storing and organizing samples, ensuring equipment used by members of our lab is maintained appropriately
- Leading annual field preparations, requiring coordinating of 5 five field ‘nodes’
- Recruiting, training, and coordinating lab volunteers
- Drafting grant proposals and secure funding for contract-based field technicians and interns
- Updating training manuals and lab protocols as needed
- Acquiring permits as needed (e.g., Park Use Research Permits).
- Maintaining and update lab website, several times weekly
- Maintaining lab and field equipment. Acquire necessary certifications
- Assisting graduate students with their work
- Transporting students and technicians as needed
- Corresponding with lab partners and associates (e.g. Raincoast Conservation, First Nations)
- Conducting preliminary research (i.e. literature reviews) and write reports
- Assisting with administration – i.e. expense reports, occasional marking, etc.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Thoughtful and respectful personality, with excellent communication skills
- Honours values of Indigenous-partnered & community-engaged conservation science
- Science training (BSc. or similar), including laboratory, analytical, administrative and organizational skills
- Keen attention to detail, data quality, and safety
- Experience with Web Site design and maintenance
- Potential interest in research experience as a graduate student
- Ability to anticipate and attend to required work under minimal supervision and in a fast-paced environment
The successful candidate will acquire valuable professional and life skills, and join a tight-knit group of friends and colleagues who treat one another with respect, collegiality and affection. There are also potential opportunities to join research teams in the field. Anticipated Start Date: September 01, 2017. Four-month preliminary contract, extendable to one year and beyond. Pay is $3,000/month, which includes Mandatory Employment Related Costs
Please send a Cover Letter and CV in one PDF with a file name that begins with your last name to: Chris Darimont (email@example.com) by 26 July, 2017.