Northern Gateway: Hearings of the NEB’s Joint Review Panel
Raincoast is an intervenor in the National Energy Board’s (NEB) public review process known as the Joint Review Panel (JRP) on Enbrige’s Northern Gateway Pipeline project. We are represented by our legal counsel, Ecojustice.
In 2010: Enbridge filed their proposal with the NEB. The full document (Environmental and Social Impact Statement) can be downloaded from the NEB’s website. The volumes that Raincoast reviewed can be downloaded below.
In 2011 Raincoast filed as an intervenor with the NEB.
In 2011, Raincoast made a lengthy submission of evidence to the Joint Review Panel critiquing aspects of Enbridge’s pipeline, marine terminal and tanker proposal, specifically as they related to impacts on wildlife. Our review identifies and critiques problems with the models, assumptions and analysis presented in Enbridge’s Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment.
Download Raincoast’s submission (whole report) (8 MB) or individual chapters below.
In July 2012, Raincoast received a series of questions from Enbridge regarding our 200 page submission. Some were legitimate questions regarding the evidence presented, while others were puerile jabs that had no relevance to the submission, the material in front the JRP panel or the NEB process.
Download Enbridge’s Information Request & Raincoast’s response.
November 2012, Raincoast began cross examination by Enbridge on our submission of evidence. Raincoast, guided by our legal council Ecojustice, will also began cross examination of Enbridge on their Environmental Impact Assessment. These hearings began in Prince George (October & November 2012) and will continue in Prince Rupert (2012 and 2013).
Report sections can be downloaded separately as follows:
- Table of Contents
- Part 1. Preface, Terrestrial Impacts, Cumulative Impacts, Natural Hazards and Climate Change
- Part 2. Marine Impacts – Marine Mammals
- Part 3. Marine Impacts – Marine Birds
- Part 4. Marine Impacts – Salmon
- Part 5. Marine Impacts – Herring
- Part 6. Marine Impacts – Eulachon
- Part 7. Marine Impacts – Tankers
- Evaluating external risks to Protected Areas (supporting evidence published in Nat. Areas J. 2012)
- Underwater Noise Impacts submitted by NRDC